Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Miley Cyrus and Beyonce: Feminist? Role Models for Women?


By Asia bka 7adyinred

Do I think Miley Cyrus is a feminist? Do I think Beyonce is a feminist? I think they both are. Anyone can be a feminist. Now the issue I see is neither of these women are role models for younger girls. Now most people would at least think Beyonce is a role model, but i do not agree. Both women have worn clothing that I would not want a young girl wearing, they both either have songs about things I don’t want anyone underage singing and both women have to much “sex appeal”  for young women. I think women my age can enjoy them without trying to be like them, but I wouldn't want any of the girls I mentor to follow in Beyonce or Miley Cyrus’s example.

Both these women can be empowering as feminist in the way that they are not letting society dictate what they deem as appropriate or inappropriate. This is fine I am happy for them but I feel like women are already objectified enough especially women of color. Women of color have historically always had the Jezebel stereotype. Sarah Batman was one of the first women of colored to depicted as a sexual being for others pleasure. I feel that when people have this misinterpretation of women of color it creates images to match these stereotypes. This is not ok.

As far as who is responsible for making sure these images to not impact young girls/ women in a negative way I believe it is a community. I say this because not everyone has a parent or guradian. It takes a village to raise a child. Teachers, mentors, older siblings should help raise children. I think anyone can be a good role model in their community, and should help girls feel empowered.

All and all I love both Beyonce and Miley Cyrus music. I just can’t see myself trying to be an image of them or telling my mentees they're good role models. I would help my mentees understand that these are not women I feel they should idolize. It is a communities job to raise a child, so if you are interested in mentoring or empowering women I have listed a few groups below.

Black Girls Rock
Girls Inc.
Big Brothers, Big Sisters
Heart to Heart Girls mentoring program
Divine Images Networking Inc,
Church Girlz with Curlz
The She is Project

If you have any to add please feel free to leave a comment. or if you have some discussion for the post leave a comment as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment